Geoger Ltd, pronounced in the same way as jogger, is managed by Dr Alastair Graham who has years of experience in remote sensing and environmental work, and has held roles in both academia and the commercial sector. Setting up Geoger Ltd. enables him to:
- engage fully with his passion for all things remote sensing;
- push forward his interest in open source technologies in the spatial/environmental sector; and
- work directly with clients to implement effective solutions. Where appropriate these will use open source, but the best solutions to the problem at hand will always be the main driving force.
Dr Alastair Graham: Expertise in environmental data handling, remote sensing, open systems, environmental applications, capacity building and project management.
Geoger Ltd. is able to respond to customer needs across a variety of thematic sectors linked to environmental data through a network of associates in the fields of hydrology, cartography and ecology.
The ethos of Geoger Ltd.
Alastair thinks that business value and worth (of the consultancy and services provided) is not just a reflection of day rates. He is driven by a motivation to help you harness the immense power and usefulness of spatial datasets to provide high quality outputs across a range of interesting topics.
How does Geoger Ltd. benefit you?
- Experience – in solving problems and finding solutions using spatial data though remote sensing, GIS, mapping and IT systems;
- Interest – in your company, your project, the work you are undertaking and how it can be enhanced;
- Expertise – from a highly respected and recognised user of spatial data systems (request CV); and
- Proven cost-effective and value-based service.
A value driven approach
Alastair is a user and proponent of open-source software and open data. An open alternative will always be suggested to clients, although the best solution for the problem at hand will always be used.
The benefits of using free and open source software and data, to you as a client include:
- Access to what are often state-of-the-art algorithms and software development;
- Customised solutions based on specific needs;
- Flexibility in choosing the right software to answer your problem, as multiple pieces of software are often developed to answer very specific questions;
- Interoperability between data and operating systems;
- Fully auditable code, if you need to understand exactly what it is doing; and
- Reduced fees, as a consequence of passing on our reduce overheads.
These benefits are increasingly being realised by companies and governments worldwide who have adopted partial, or wholly open methods of working in order to deliver high quality services and products at reduced costs, with improved security and stable development. The day-to-day computer systems used in Geoger Ltd run the linux operating system, and all the software used for running the business and undertaking spatial data analysis are open source. Advocacy as to how open source can help Geoger Ltd.’s clients is a key part of the company ethos, because as well as keeping down costs, it provides a more robust long-term alternative.
Peace of mind
Geoger Ltd. is fully and professionally insured for the work it undertakes, giving you peace of mind.